Day 6- The Grand Canyon

Day 6: The Grand Canyon

This morning was an early one!! Today, we woke up at 3:30 a.m. to get started hiking. We left the campsite ASAP and ate our delicious peanut butter bagels and a banana on the way to the trail. We had groups do 3 miles total and 6 miles total, as it was too hot to let anyone safely go past that distance. Trust us, it was enough!! We all got out alive, and really learned a lot about ourselves and each other. It was an incredible experience.





























The first 3 mile group after making it out!!





The second 3 mile group at the top of the canyon!!


The 6 mile group after getting out of the canyon!

After the canyon, groups made their way to the laundromat to clean their clothes (some doing it for themselves for the first time)!







Even our counselors Katti and Kaitlin needed to crash after the canyon!



DEATON STEW 2018!!!








Watermelon eating contest between Alex and Claire!


Alex won!


Kaitlin and Katti even jumped in.


It was a "tie".


We had a visitor at our campsite!


Savannah Harris presenting research on the Grand Canyon.


Abby Poindexter telling us about the state of Arizona.


Olivia Ensalaco presenting information on The Painted Desert


Lauren Angus telling us about the State of New Mexico.










Katie Slaughter telling us about the New Mexico Military Institute




















We ended our evening with a big sing-a-long and tomorrow will be heading to Las Vegas, Nevada!! The Dopey group is now done with the blog, thank you for reading!

MORE PICS TO COME

These are the quotes about the Grand Canyon that all of the participants personally wrote into the blog:

“Anyone who doesn’t believe in the existence of God hasn’t seen the Grand Canyon in the morning.”- Ethan Stoll, Whiteville, NC

“Hydration Nation”  - Mary Mac, Greensboro, NC

“Wish I did the 12 mile hike.”- Albert Bright, Cornelius, NC

“Bummed we couldn’t do the 12 mile, but the 6 mile was still amazing.... can’t win ‘em all.”- Adam Weber, Mooresville, NC

“The Grand Canyon is an amazing place to visit.  I’m so thankful I had the opportunity to hike the canyon.”- Mark Windtian, Indian trail, NC

“I’m just a big, hairy American winning machine. If you ain’t first your last.”- Jackson Parcell, Laurinburg, NC

“I’m not sure what I enjoyed more; seeing God’s beautiful creation or the French toast after.” – Kristen Ahash, Stoneville, NC

“It was a once in a lifetime experience that I wont forget.” Bryce Taylor, Eden, NC

“It was breath-taking and very hot.” Mckenna Sutherland, Laurinburg

“First and last time I hike.” Ethan Balkun, Union, SC

“Still alive but I’m barely breathing.” Haley Chuor, Salisbury

“It makes you realize how big the world is.” Savannah Harris, Mooresville

“It kinda smelt like home depot” Macy Long, Gastonia

“Watch out for donkey doo doo” Thomas Parmiten, Statesville

“They say to live on the edge but don’t fall off” Sidney Seuford, Salisbury

“They say that this trip is to find ourselves… Today, I realized how truly clumsy I am. #stickandstonesbreakbones” Mathew Barker, Vale,NC

“They thought the Grand Canyon was hot but I thought Adam was hotter” Lauren Angus, Beaufort, SC

“I slipped more than I walked, but it was so worth it.” –Katlyn McCoy, Mocksville NC

“I only fell a couple times.” –Kira Orellana, Mooresville NC

“Next time, I’m parachuting down to the bottom and having my helicopter come pick me up.” –Blaine Kimrey, Charlotte NC

“With hard work comes some amazing things. The view was breathtaking and amazing in every way.” –Taylor Poteate, Harrisburg NC

“Remember its easy going down but don’t forget you have to go back up.” –Melody Dennison, Mount Holly NC

“Most memorable part of hiking the Grand Canyon: *takes three steps* “SIP!” –Reagan Reynolds, Irmo SC

“Whenever you need some encouragement just look at the view” –Mark Baber, Waxhaw NC

“I’m alive but barely breathing”- Julia Al-Hussain, Mooresville NC

“Three steps…SIP”- Peyton Hodges, Denver NC

“Best experience of my life”- Katie Bridges, Sanford NC

“Don’t slip trying to take pictures, and fill up your water so you don’t die.”- Kaden McCemore , (Don’t know where she is from)

“It was a nice little nature walk”- Corbin Laney, Monroe NC

“It was really long, super hard but beautiful.” –Jack O’Tuel, Belmont, NC

“Dude, those deer won’t stop looking at me” –Daniel LaCourse, Gastonia, NC

“I went in sleepy and came out sleepy. True sleepy at heart. GO SLEEPYS!!!” –Olivia Ensalaco, Mooresville

“The hike itself is not the most important part of the experience; what truly matters is the view and the people you met along the way.” –Katie Slaughter, Femandina Beach, FL

“I was so happy to be done I laid down on the ground as soon as I got out.” –Logan MacQueen, Kannapolis, NC

“Where are you from?” “Singapore!” “University?” “No, ping pong.” –Colby Dennis, Mooresville, NC

“The Grand Canyon is indescribable and unlike anything I have ever seen. This is why we must #ProtectOurParks.” –Junior Park Ranger Claire Thompson, Elon, NC

"It was one of the most beautiful, outstanding things I’ve ever done." –Addisyn Poole, Denver, NC

"I hiked it!" – Shelby Bassinger, Mooresville, NC

"I ran all the way down, and all the way back up." –Tristan Harrell, Raleigh, NC

"I could have done the 12 mile but at least I had Albert." –Matthew McConnell, Mooresville, NC

"Being able to hike and see the Grand Canyon was simply breathtaking and the best part of the trip so far." –Konnor Hill

"The beauty was worth the stress." –Anniston, Mooresville, NC

"Watch out for squirrels." –Presley, Cary, NC

"Three steps, take a sip." –Megan, Huntersville, NC

"Stay to the right." –Abby Petry, Davidson, NC

"The hike down was beautiful but when I looked at what I had to hike back up, I realized it might have been easier to admire the view from the top." – Sarah Johnson, Salisbury, NC

"We’re alive! We’re alive! We died, but we’re alive!" – Makayla Ennis, Salisbury, NC

"God’s greatest creation, but don’t sprint to the top." –Hannah Turner, Vale, NC

"Amazing hike, with amazing people! The most beautiful thing I have ever seen." –Hannah Ackerman, Beaufort, SC

"Hiking back up the canyon really took my breath away!" –Lara Prosser, Mooresville, NC

"I fed a squirrel, which I found out was illegal…so shhhhhh." –Kobey Godbold, Mooresville NC

"Wow! Very amazing and beautiful, but if you visit don’t forget to stay to the right and SIP every three steps!!" –Carmen Fraley, Granite Quarry, NC

"My man Samuel was wearing pants." –Jimmy Byrne, Irmo, SC

"Word on the trail there’s a Bojangles’ at the bottom." –Braden Tawtkus, Concord, NC

"I saw a squirrel; it was cool. –Richard Whitfield, Mooresville, NC
One of the prettiest and most tiring things of my life." –Alexis Patterson, Laurinburg, NC

"Undeniably the most unique and unimaginable sight you/I will ever experience." –Amanda Powell, Reidsville, NC

“Next time I’ll be on a helicopter, taking in the wonders of beautiful country, without having a heart attack. –Aly Noble, Mooresville, NC

"I don’t think I’ll ever forget the beauties that surrounded me in the canyon and the amazing experience I had hiking it." –Ashley Wennedy, Mooresville

"That soil was drier than Nate’s snapchat." –Alex Hayes, Mooresville

"One of the most breath-taking views in America, you have to see it to believe it." –Logan Webb, Statesville

"Bruh… Lets be honest, I barely made it back up.” – Meg B, Burlington

“My Calves are going to be looking great this year.” – MC Johnson, Kings Mountain

“I was disappointed when there wasn’t an elevator at the bottom to bring us back up.” – Elsa Shuls, Gastonia

“One of the only and most beautiful sunrises I’ve ever seen in my 15 years of living.” –McKenna Sutherland

“I vlogged all my struggles.” – Ava Rose, Gastonia

“It was the most amazing views I have ever seen, 10/10 would hike again! – Hollis Comer, Charlotte

“I’m from a ping pong team from Singapore.” – Elise Aldridge, Charlotte

“Hiking the Grand Canyon was super difficult and I slipped down half of it, resulting in a bruised ego and ashy legs. View rate 10/10 would recommend.” – Ali Gerig, Kannapolis

“At the beginning I was a ten, at the end I was just an out of breath 10.” –Chelsea Stegal, Denver

“I underestimated my physical capabilities and I was still let down.” –Everett, Gastonia